As Christmas gets ever closer, if you haven’t got your food sorted, there’s no need to panic – it might be time to cheat! And cheating doesn’t mean poorer quality when you buy from Tesco’s Finest range. Don’t spend time fiddling around with bacon and sausages – buy your pigs already in blankets! Roasties can be hit and miss – make sure yours are always a hit with Finest Goose Fat Roast Potatoes or follow our easy recipe. Add Christmas cake, pud and mince pies to your shopping list and make sure you keep our roast turkey with olde English chestnut stuffing recipe handy and you’re all set for the big day. Happy Christmas! Nichola Palmer – Recipes Editor, goodtoknow
A delicious, moist and tender beef fillet wrapped in crusty puff pastry. A red wine sauce accompanies the beef. Great for Sunday lunch or dinner celebrations
- Serves: 12
- Prep time: 45 mins
- Cooking time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Total time: 2 hrs 5 mins
- Skill level: Bit of effort
- Costs: Mid-price
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1.5kg (2¼-3lb) beef fillet
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 250g (8oz) chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 250g tub mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbs wholegrain mustard
- 2 x 80g packs Parma ham
- 375g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
For the sauce:
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 350g (12oz) shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tbs tomato purée
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine
- 300ml (½ pint) hot beef stock
This recipe is a great idea for an alternative to turkey for Christmas dinner.
- Season beef well. Heat 30g (1oz) butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat and, when foaming, put the fillet in pan and brown it all over for 4-5 mins, taking care not to let the butter burn. Cool meat, and cover.
- Meanwhile, melt rest of butter in the pan, add the chopped shallots and cook for 1 min. Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme and fry for a few mins.
- Beat the mascarpone with the mustard until smooth. Mix in mushroom mixture. Season.
- Lay half the Parma ham slices on a large piece of cling film with slices overlapping. Spread half the mushroom mixture on one side of the beef, then turn it over on top of the Parma ham. Spread rest of mushroom mixture over top and sides of beef, then wrap the rest of the Parma ham slices round, overlapping on top of the mushroom mixture. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Unroll the pastry and cut off a third. Roll out the smaller piece to 5mm (¼in) thickness and 2.5cm (1in) bigger than the beef. Prick several times with a fork. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 mins or until brown and crisp. Allow to cool for a few mins, then trim to the size of the beef. Remove the cling film from the beef and place on the cooked pastry, brushing pastry edges with egg.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry to a rectangle 25 x 30cm (10 x 12in). Cut 10 diagonal slashes in the pastry. Cover the beef with the pastry, tucking the ends under the cooked pastry base. Brush with beaten egg. Cook on a baking sheet for 40 mins for rare to medium-rare; 45 mins for medium. Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving.
- For the red wine sauce: Heat the olive oil in a pan, and fry shallots until soft, about 10 mins. Add garlic and tomato purée and cook for 1 min, then add the balsamic vinegar. Bubble for 1 min, before adding red wine. Continue to boil for a few mins to reduce, then add the beef stock and boil for 10 mins more until reduced by a third. Serve with the beef. Freeze unbaked. Defrost overnight in the fridge. Cook as above.
By Woman’s Weekly
Incoming search terms:
- mustard mash gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsay szechuan chicken
- gordon ramseys port wine sauce
- Chicken and Red Wine Sauce gordon ramsey
- red wine sauce ramsey
- gordon ramsey red wine reduction sauce
- Gordon Ramsay’s red wine pasta
- gordon ramsay red wine sauce
- gordon ramsay beef wellington recipe with red wine sauce
- sausages with wine mushrooms and chalots ramsey