The weather is changing, and I kind of like it. I’m looking forward cooler weather, but I’m not quite ready for zucchini season to end – we’ve been eating “zoodles” all summer long!
This is sorta a two part recipe, I made a pot of my Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs at my toddler’s request but rather than eating mine with pasta, I served it over zoodles (zucchini noodles) for a lighter low-carb alternative (perfect for using up zucchini from your garden).
A good rule of thumb is one medium zucchini per person, since you lose some when you cut them and the shrink a bit when they cook. To cut them I used my OXO mandolin with my julienne blade and I stop right about when I get to the seeds, then I rotate and slice. A word of advice, please be careful when using a mandolin, the blades are VERY sharp.
You can also use a spiralizer instead to make them more spaghetti-like. I’m going to be making these as much as I can as long as I can find zucchini at my local farmer’s market!
Zoodles and Meatballs
Servings: 3 • Size: 1 cup zoodles, 4 meatballs • Old Points: 7 pt • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 325 • Fat: 15 g • Carbs: 25 • Fiber: 7 • Protein: 25 g • Sugar: 4
Sodium: 715 mg • Cholesterol: 34 g
- 12 leftover crock pot turkey meatballs and sauce (1/2 batch)
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (8 oz each) zucchinis, cut into long julienne strips (with a mandolin or spiralizer)
- salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Make the meatballs in the crock pot according to directions here.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the oil, onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high and add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook about 1 minute. Give it a stir to mix everything around and cook another 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through yet firm.
Divide the zucchini between 3 bowls and top with 4 meatballs and sauce, add some grated cheese and enjoy!
- ^ Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ OXO mandolin (www.amazon.com)
- ^ spiralizer (www.amazon.com)
- ^ 12 leftover crock pot turkey meatballs and sauce (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ directions here (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)