Hairy Bikers’ steak and ale pie
Free & easy recipe video: Watch new how-to recipe videos with goodtoknow and Woman’s Weekly see all videos >
A really easy-to-follow recipe for a delicious and rich steak and ale pie from The Hairy Bikers. You can’t beat good, hearty British grub for a bit of comfort food and Si and Dave don’t disappoint with this famous pie recipe.
If you’ve got time to make your own puff pastry, here’s the recipe you’ll need for flaky puffy pastry
- 900g stewing steak, diced
- 25g flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g butter
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 150g button mushrooms
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 400ml good-quality ale
- 500ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing
- 300g ready-made rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/428°F/gas mark 7.
- Pour flour into a bowl and season well.
- Coat the meat with the seasoned flour.
- Heat half the butter in a heated pan and add the meat. Sear all over until golden brown.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, ale and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1 hr.
- When cooked, season, add the remaining butter and pour into an ovenproof serving dish.
- Brush the edge of the dish with the beaten egg.
- Roll out the pastry using as little flour as possible and place over the dish.
- Pinch the edges of the dish so that the pastry will stick to it and trim off any remaining pieces of pastry from around the edge.
- Brush the pastry top thoroughly with the remaining beaten egg and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins until the pastry is golden brown on top.
The Hairy Bikers have created 32 World Cup recipes for npower.com/backthebid
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Delia Smith is no longer the face of Waitrose but Heston Blumenthal will stay – whose food would you rather eat?
- Delia Smith’s classic meals 77%
- Heston Blumenthal’s crazy inventions 10%
- Neither 13%
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
Incoming search terms:
- steak and ale pie gordon ramsay
- beef and ale pie gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsay steak and ale pie
- gordon ramsay steak pie
- beef pie recipe gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsay steak and ale pie recipe
- Beef and Ale Pie Ramsay
- steak and ale pie recipe gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsay beef and ale pie
- gordon ramsey steak and ale pie